Lost User

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 18 00:40:13 UTC 2005

Don Flinn:

>> Nov 17 09:54:00 flinn gdm[2561]: gdm_slave_session_start: /home/donfl is not owned by uid 502.
>> Nov 17 09:54:00 flinn gdm[2561]: gdm_auth_user_add: /home/donfl is not owned by uid 502.
>>
>> Looking at /etc/passwd:
>> donfl:x:502:503:Don Flinn:/home/donfl:/bin/bash
>>
>> Should that be 502:502 ?

Normally I'd expect your own group to have the same numerical value,
thanks to Red Hat's scheme of giving each user a private group, but it
is possible for them to be different.  What matters is that they're the
correct ones.

> Problem Solved:  The home directory for the lost user was owned by root.
> I evidently made that mistake when trying to remove OpenOffice, although
> I don't remember doing it.  Changing ownership back to the lost user
> solved the problem.

What were you doing that caused you to change ownership? i.e. What steps
did you take while trying to un-install?

For what it's worth, you only need to be root to install or remove RPMs,
you don't need to change ownership of the RPM files to do so.

I read messages from the public lists.