POSIX Message Queues [Broken?]

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 18 05:36:23 UTC 2005

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Shay, Daniel writes:
>
>> I've noticed POSIX message queues are relatively new to the Linux 2.6
>> kernel, is the support just not finished?
>

> Nobody really cared about posix message queues for at least a decade.
> They're broken by design.

Care to support that statement? (Though it is topic drift.)

I'm no POSIX expert, though I have written some POSIX compliant
multithreaded programs using real time signals. I like the way
the POSIX stuff generally works, with deferred operations
being done in a consistent manner, and I liked the way
the real time signals work. I also have used the shared memory,
and found it to be very easy to use.

What is wrong with the way POSIX message queues work?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.