add another hard disk on Fedora Linux

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 18 09:30:38 UTC 2005

Tim:
>> Does anything use hard links?  I've cloned a drive using the cp command
>> (with appropriate parameter), and not noticed any problems.

James Wilkinson:
> Something like
> find / -noleaf -type f -links +2 -ls 2>/dev/null
> will give you an answer for you system, but in general:
>
> Stuff like zcat, gunzip, and gzip are the same binary hardlinked under
> the same name. It uses (either switches or) the command name to work out
> what it's supposed to do.

I notice zcat is a link, but gzip and gunzip *appear* to be standalone
files:

$ ll /usr/bin/bzcat
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     5 Oct 18 10:26 /usr/bin/bzcat -> bzip2

$ ll /bin/gzip
-rwxr-xr-x  3 root root 61424 May  3  2005 /bin/gzip

$ ll /usr/bin/gzip
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    14 Oct 18 10:27 /usr/bin/gzip -> ../../bin/gzip

$ ll /bin/gunzip
-rwxr-xr-x  3 root root 61424 May  3  2005 /bin/gunzip

$ ll /usr/bin/gunzip
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    16 Oct 18 10:26 /usr/bin/gunzip -> ../../bin/gunzip

I can't recall a method for telling apart standalone or hard linked files.

Would file linking stuff-ups *might* get fixed the next time I update
the packages that provides them?

I read messages from the public lists.