SSh dlink forwarding

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) stymar at lucent.com
Fri Nov 18 14:14:26 UTC 2005

> Hello fellows,
> Ok here is my problem !
> I don't have a static Ip so i bought a domain for tzo.
>
> I use ssh to access to my computer so i use putty and i set the router
> to forward the public port 22 forward to private port 22.
> Like this everything is correct.
> But for security reason i change the public port 52552 to  forward to
> private port 22.
> And know i have a connection refused.
> Can you tell me where i have to modify something

One thing to check is /var/log/secure.  Figure out
whether your connection refused is coming from
your machine or someplace before it gets to your
machine.  This may provide some clues.

Also, if using port 22 works, you might consider going
back to port 22 and using /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny
to limit what IP addresses can get to your machine.
There is a plethora of discussions on this list on various
ways to accomplish this.  Changing the port number
reminds me too much of the Micro$oft security by
obfuscation technique.

Bob Styma