problem with dd and usb drive

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Nov 18 21:01:53 UTC 2005

----
> the thing is, that I did use fdisk, and no matter what I did,
> the partition
> table wouldnt stay.  i then plugged it into a windows machine, and, explorer
> crashed, and wouldnt read anything everytime i plugged it in.  it found a
> new harddrive.
>
> i would add it to just one file but, ...  it is fat32 , so no files above 4~
> gb
>
> but, it may just work anyway.  is there way I can break it up into 2 files?
----
I haven't a clue why you would want the partition to be fat32 - but if
you want to keep the partition at fat32, the only thing you can do is
write files to existing partition. Otherwise, you are overwriting the
entire partition and then the partition tables aren't going to be
working.

fdisk has a 'w' option to write the partition tables.

You would then have to make a file system on the newly created
partition, either with Windows or Linux (linux uses mkfs).

You could probably split the files but for what purpose? dd has a
'count' option along with 'bs' option, you could make it split the 'out
file [of]' into pieces. Either way, restoring is going to be a bear the
way you are going.

Craig

believed to be clean.