USB Scanner and FC4

gary garys at mtaonline.net
Fri Nov 18 22:08:52 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 06:47 -0600, John Pierce wrote:
> >  what happens when you do Applications>Graphics>The Gimp>Aquire ?
> >  Seems to me, you need to first fire up Gimp as root ( to accept the
> > license)    - gary
> >

> Aquire has nothing but grayed out options, and the outpus of saned
> -d128 is as follows:
>
> [saned] main: starting debug mode (level 128)
> [saned] main: trying to get port for service `sane-port' (getaddrinfo)
> [saned] main: [0] socket () using IPv4
> [saned] main: [0] setsockopt ()
> [saned] main: [0] bind () to port 6566
> [saned] main: [0] listen ()
> [saned] main: [1] socket () using IPv6
> [saned] main: [1] socket failed: Address family not supported by protocol
> [saned] main: waiting for control connection
> [saned] saned (AF-indep+IPv6) from sane-backends 1.0.15 ready
> [saned] check_host: access by remote host: 127.0.0.1
> [saned] check_host: remote host is IN_LOOPBACK: access granted
> [saned] init: access granted
> [saned] init: access granted to eagle1 at 127.0.0.1
> [saned] process_request: waiting for request
> [saned] process_request: got request 1
> [saned] process_request: waiting for request
> [saned] process_request: got request 10
> [saned] quit: exiting
>
> The above was generated by starting kooka as a normal user.  Kooka
> never offers the select device dialog upon startup.  If I launch iscan
> from epson/kowa it tells me the that it could not connect to any
> devices.
>
> The following was generated by the command:
>
> telnet localhost 6566
>
> [saned] main: starting debug mode (level 128)
> [saned] main: trying to get port for service `sane-port' (getaddrinfo)
> [saned] main: [0] socket () using IPv4
> [saned] main: [0] setsockopt ()
> [saned] main: [0] bind () to port 6566
> [saned] main: [0] listen ()
> [saned] main: [1] socket () using IPv6
> [saned] main: [1] socket failed: Address family not supported by protocol
> [saned] main: waiting for control connection
> [saned] saned (AF-indep+IPv6) from sane-backends 1.0.15 ready
> [saned] check_host: access by remote host: 127.0.0.1
> [saned] check_host: remote host is IN_LOOPBACK: access granted
> [saned] init: access granted
> [saned] init: bad status=0 or procnum=-720899
> [saned] quit: exiting
>
> I do not understand why I have no scanning, this is the same output I
> used to get under FC3 and all worked fine.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

 So far I seem to have made a number of false assumptions. First
it appeared to me that you had upgrade from fc3 to fc4. Then I assumed
you were using XSane - now it appears you're trying to scan on a
network. My only experience comes from having the scanner plugged
directly to the back of my machine.
 Yet when it comes to trouble-shooting, first I try to reduce everything
to its most simple element. Have you tried to access the scanner
directly? How about using XSane. Then try your network. ( XSane has
always worked well for me and I've never used kooka.
                       gary