tightening ssh

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Sat Nov 19 15:55:14 UTC 2005

On Saturday 19 November 2005 06:47, Claude Jones wrote:
> Won't simple scans reveal the existence of ssh access on a
> non-standard port?

Yes.

> Is this really much protection? Is it merely a
> question of reducing odds?

Yes.  It'll stop those who use automated scripts that aren't
flexible enough to scan for alternative ports.

> I need to give access to an associate who gets his dsl ip
> address via dhcp, so it's always changing.

Do you know what "always changing" means in this context?  I too
have a few people that log in via an address assigned via dhcp but
in practice their address doesn't change but once or twice a year.
If this is true in your case a simple exchange of emails to let you
know to change the firewall rule for the new address may be the
most secure method you're considering.

Regards, Mike Klinke