can FC4 write a boot block to a SATA drive?

Reg Clemens reg at dwf.com
Sat Nov 19 22:08:41 UTC 2005

> On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 14:55 -0700, Reg Clemens wrote:
> > Im back to trying to install Fedora on a machine with an Intel 945
> > motherboard.  This is a new motherboard (chipset), and anything
> > less than FC4 doesnt know about the SATA controller on this board.
> >
> > Now I get a clean install, but when I try to boot, there doesnt
> > seem to be a boot block (I get the message 'insert a boot disk')
> >
> > So, is this a known problem?  FC4 seems to be able to write to this
> > disk, and fdisk was able to format it, is there a possibility that
> > FC4 cant write a (usable) boot block?
> >
> > Puzzled, and not sure what to try next (OK I can add a non-SATA disk
> > but that seems like a waste)
> ----
> boot disk 1
>
> type 'linux rescue'
>
> follow instructions...
>
> # chroot /mnt/sysimage
>
> # grub-install -v /dev/sda
>
> the -v option will tell you what is going on and whether it writes a
> usable boot block
>
> Craig

Well,
       grub-install -v /dev/sda
only gives me the version number and (appears) to do nothing else.
a simple
	grub-install /dev/sda
does give a message saying that the install completed correctly, but
when I go to boot, I see the two letter codes
         5A
	(then it clears the 5A)
	 5A
	(then something that comes and goes too fast to read)
	 5A
	 B9
then the message across the top of the screen
	no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

strange, there seems to be a noise from the disk when I first do the
grub-install that would make me think that its actually writing to
the disk, but I cant think of any reason why it won't then boot
(yes the hard disk is in the boot sequence in the bios)

Guess Ill pull out the CD that came with the motherboard and see
if it has anything interesting to say, but any other thoughts
would be appreciated, Im puzzled.

Like I said I CAN add another non-sata disk to the machine, but
having 1/2 TeraByte on a workstation seems a but much (sigh)
--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com