Multiple IP with one nic

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 19:04:03 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 22:25, Jonathan Carpenter wrote:
> I have several servers that are not doing to much and I need to
> combine them in to one. Is there anyway that I can give one server
> multiple IP's and hostnames? So the network will see this one server
> as several?

You can add multiple IP's but for most purposes all you need
is multiple names pointing to the one IP address.  You can
do this with DNS aliases:
othername  IN   CNAME   realname
and you can add as many other names as you want.
If you do add multiple IP's, be aware that the source address
for outbound connections may change to one of the new ones
so you may have to adjust firewall and access rules.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com