Fedora Core 3 - Random lockups on IBM x346

Alex Greg alex.greg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 10:33:31 UTC 2005

Hi,

We're running Fedora Core 3 x86_64 on a number of IBM x336 and x346
EM64T servers. The x336 servers run great and have no problems at all,
but we are consistently seeing the x346's lock up for no apparent
reason. This happens every few weeks, and the symptoms are as follows:

1) Machine doesn't respond to ping or keyboard input (hitting caps
lock doesn't toggle the LED, for example)
2) No kernel oops or error on screen
3) Cursor is still flashing on screen (somewhat bizzarely)
4) Requires reboot to bring it back to life

Can anyone offer any advice as to what is going wrong here, i.e. is
this a kernel crash or a hardware lockup? The fact that there is no
kernel oops on screen makes me inclined to think it's hardware
related, but I'm not sure.

If you need any more information, let me know and I'll be happy to provide.

Regards,

-- Alex