MMS protocol

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Nov 21 15:59:28 UTC 2005

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I need to see certain video for my studies. When I try to view them
> from the university's website, I am greeted with the error
> (translated): "MMS is not a registered protocol"
>
> How can I resolve this? I am on Firefox 1.0.7 with the mplayer plugin.
> I am open to using different browsers and/or plgins if neccassary. I
> have closely followed all the threads concerning mplayer in firefox
> for the past few months in anticipation of the need for this. However,
> none of them mention this.
>
> Dotan Cohen
> http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/biography/425/red_hot_chili_peppers.php
> Red Hot Chili Peppers Song Lyrics and Biography

I don't have an answer and my results have been bad with MSS files.

1.  I have found the same error message.  It was a pain as I was
trying to do some online courses.  The support staff for the supplier
was great and they gave me allot of hints.

As I was doing everything I tried, I found that it was easier to use
mplayer to access the site.  Look at the mplayer man page.

mplayer mms://{web link}

I never got Firefox or mozilla to access the site directly and open
mplayer.

2.  It turned out that our firewall at work blocks mss access so it
turned out that all the work I tried wouldn't work.  Even Windows
couldn't access the site.

3.  After all this, I also found that if their server is configured
one way, Linux may not be able to access mss files from the server.
The support staff found this out themselves when assisting me.

If you can access with mplayer, then it shouldn't be a firewall issue
and then it is a configuration for the mplayer plugin.  Good luck.

Robin