MP3 not supported?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Nov 21 16:16:50 UTC 2005

Mark Jordan wrote:
> the article mentioned using the Ogg or Flac codecs. Is there a tool
> that easily converts mp3 to these formats? can ogg or flac be put onto
> cds and played? when i means simple it would be nice to have something
> like "convert foo.mp3 bar.ogg"
>
> Many tia
>
> Mark
>
> On 11/21/05, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 13:36 +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
>>
>>>  As for Helix, the Realplayer 10
>>>for Linux binary from Real includes support for closed codecs,
>>>including mp3.
>>
>>Agreed.
>>On x86 anyway - remove HelixPlayer and install RealPlayer - AFAIK
>>everything HelixPlayer does is done better by totem anyway.
>>
>>--
>>

> --
> http://theExile.vze.com
> http://www.stpaulswalsall.org.uk
>
> This message is best viewed with your eyes.

Converting from one compressed lossy format to another is not a great
idea as the quality goes down.

On a fresh rip, I rip to flac as it is lossless.  Most players I have
seen won't play flac.  For my iRiver I then reencode to ogg.  If need
be I will encode to mp3 from flac.

On downloads, I look for the best product but usually go and purchase
the CD to ensure I get decent quality from a wav file.

There is a whole thread on converting from one format to another.

For single conversion I open in Audacity and then save in the chosen
format.  Simple solution.