MP3 not supported?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Nov 21 16:16:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 15:50 +0000, Mark Jordan wrote:
> the article mentioned using the Ogg or Flac codecs. Is there a tool
> that easily converts mp3 to these formats?

Not that Fedora can ship - and since mp3 is lossy, you wouldn't want to
anyway.

mp3 --> flac is no loss is quality, but a very large file for something
that is no better than the mp3.

mp3 --> ogg will have a loss in quality.

It is better re-rip to flac or ogg.
I always rip to flac since it is lossless (can be converted to identical
wav from whence it came) - thus I can go from flac to whatever lossy I
want at any point in time w/o needing to re-rip and the quality is as
good as if I had just ripped. But flac files are big. Not as big as wav,
but huge compared to mp3 or ogg.

For lossy - I just use mp3. Get the libmad and lame and other mp3
related stuff from rpm.livna.org