Starting a VPN connection

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 17:10:59 UTC 2005

On 11/21/05, Kostas Sfakiotakis <kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr> wrote:
> Greetings Paul,
>
> Well am not an expert in VPN connections so this might be something stupid
> but anyway here it goes .
>
> Paul Smith wrote:

> First of all here we have a permissions problem .  I guess a login as root
> and then "chmod 700 /etc/ppp/pap-secrets" could resolve the problem .

> Well the above line says PAP ( Password Authentication Protocol ) succeded
>
> How do we know that the VPN Server actually offers CHAP Authentication
> and not just PAP Authentication since the two of them are entirely
> different
> things.

> I have no knowledge of MS-CRAP ????? What's it's meaning ???
> Does it  actually mean MS- CHAP as of ( MS - Chalenge Host Authentication
> Protocol )
>
> Btw if there is a CHAP Authentication to be performed is there
> any  /etc/ppp/chap-secrets file available ???
>

> Kind Regards,
>     Kostas

I did a quick locate:
[root at localhost ~]# locate chap
/etc/ppp/chap-secrets
/root/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/chap_ms.h.desktop
/usr/share/slib/chap.scm
/usr/share/doc/HTML/en/kppp/chap.docbook
/usr/include/pppd/chap_ms.h
/usr/include/pppd/chap-new.h

I opened up the chap_ms.h file and it contains this line:
# client	server	secret			IP addresses

But what could my secret be? I don't know. Some more digging brought me to:
http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-diagnosis.phtml#chap_failure
http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-redhat.html

Where it suggests that I run:
[yoursys pptp]# pptp-command

Which I tried to find by:
[root at localhost ~]# locate -u
[root at localhost ~]# locate pptp-command
[root at localhost ~]#

With no luck. I also played around a bit with kppp which I discovered
1) exists, and 2) is installed on my system, however, I can't get it
to connect either- I can't even get it to contact the technion's
servers.

Thanks for all your help so far. I really, really, do appreciate Paul
and Kostass and Aleksander and everybody else who contributes to the
list.

Dotan Cohen
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/biography/335/mcknight_brian.php
McKnight, Brian Song Lyrics and Biography

.