BOINC RPMs

Gilboa Davara gilboada at netvision.net.il
Tue Nov 22 10:39:16 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 04:51 -0500, David Niemi wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 08:10 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 23:37 -0500, Randy Vice wrote:
> > > Does anyone know if there are rpm packages for boinc and third party boinc
> > > apps?  I would appreciate a URL if those rpm packages are out there.
> > >
> > > Randy
> > >
> > I don't think anyone made one.
> > Just open them in your open directory and run them under screen. (That's
> > what I do.)
> >
> There are tar balls of the source code and CVS available for download
> from the main boinc site but most projects (I think) that use boinc have
> a scripted version that you run in the directory you want it installed
> to.
> I have the 4.43 version installed and running and it just created a
> folder under my home directory and installed it's files there.

I do the same.
I don't use their script, I just run it in the background under
screen(1).

> What do you mean by 3rd party boinc apps? The projects? when you run
> boinc and feed it your distributed computing project information it
> automatically downloads the software to run the project as well as work.
> I run the Climate Prediction project with minimal problems.

Ummm? I didn't say anything about 3rd part applications.... you sure it
was me?

> There are other applications around that users have created to monitor
> boinc and multiple computers etc which are tar balls.

One can always find the time to create the spec file for BOINC and make
an RPM out of it.
Sound like a nice extra project to me.
Any volunteers? ;)

Gilboa