MP3 not supported?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Nov 22 15:16:34 UTC 2005

Robin Laing wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:

>  From my experience, flac is ~25% smaller than the wave files for most
> music.  I really have not looked that closely.   I will have to look
> closer into this.
>
> I use OGG but I feel with the cost of HD's today, why save as a lossy
> format.  Also, this gives me a backup of my CD if it decides to fail.
>  Convert back to wav and have a copy if ever needed.
>
> I do agree with you that ogg is much better than mp3's in my own
> experience.  I find that all the ogg files I have ripped seem to have a
> full dynamic range over any of the mp3's.  Even when the mp3's have a
> higher bitrate.

To add to this.

Last night I checked some of the disks I ripped.  I still have the
original *.wav files and *.flac files.  Size difference is ~20%
smaller for flac over wav.

I also came across this article that says almost the same thing.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3232

It has a script on it for converting *.flac to *.ogg which I tried
last night.  It works with a couple warnings.  Also the bitrate is
lower than I would like for the *.ogg files.  Of course they are only
for the iRiver.