MMS protocol

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Nov 22 18:16:19 UTC 2005

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 11/21/05, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
>
>>Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>
>>>I need to see certain video for my studies. When I try to view them
>>>from the university's website, I am greeted with the error
>>>(translated): "MMS is not a registered protocol"
>>>
>>>How can I resolve this? I am on Firefox 1.0.7 with the mplayer plugin.
>>>I am open to using different browsers and/or plgins if neccassary. I
>>>have closely followed all the threads concerning mplayer in firefox
>>>for the past few months in anticipation of the need for this. However,
>>>none of them mention this.
>>>
>>>Dotan Cohen
>>>http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/biography/425/red_hot_chili_peppers.php
>>>Red Hot Chili Peppers Song Lyrics and Biography
>>>

>>I don't have an answer and my results have been bad with MSS files.
>>
>>1.  I have found the same error message.  It was a pain as I was
>>trying to do some online courses.  The support staff for the supplier
>>was great and they gave me allot of hints.
>>
>>As I was doing everything I tried, I found that it was easier to use
>>mplayer to access the site.  Look at the mplayer man page.
>>
>>mplayer mms://{web link}
>>
>>I never got Firefox or mozilla to access the site directly and open
>>mplayer.
>>
>>2.  It turned out that our firewall at work blocks mss access so it
>>turned out that all the work I tried wouldn't work.  Even Windows
>>couldn't access the site.
>>
>>3.  After all this, I also found that if their server is configured
>>one way, Linux may not be able to access mss files from the server.
>>The support staff found this out themselves when assisting me.
>>
>>If you can access with mplayer, then it shouldn't be a firewall issue
>>and then it is a configuration for the mplayer plugin.  Good luck.
>>
>>Robin
>

> Thanks. The files are regular (if it can be considered regular) .wmv
> files. I can't figure out why, but _sometimes_ the mplayer plugin
> opens, and _sometimes_ I get the error. On the same link, one minute
> error, one minute mplayer. That means that the problem is on my end,
> no?
>
> Dotan Cohen
> http://technology-sleuth.com/question/how_much_memory_will_i_need_for_my_digital_camera.html

I wouldn't know.  I have never had much luck with the mplayer plugin.
  I would prefer to use the CLI as it can be setup to show more detail
as to what the problem is.

I cannot be much more help than that.  I have never used MMS protocol
as I only have a requirement at work and our firewall prevents it.