Accessing Evolution Addressbook across NFS

Dr J Austin ja at jaa.org.uk
Thu Nov 24 14:59:35 UTC 2005

Hi All
I am using Evolution on a laptop with my home dir
nfs mounted (rw) from another machine.

Using exim and dovecot. (Can't get cyrus-imap working (yet))

All in/out mail transfers seems fine to/from the laptop.
However I get the following
message when trying to access my addressbook

"Error loading addressbook.

We were unable to open this addressbook.
Please check that the path exists and
that you have permission to access it."

I assume the info is stored in the following files
in my home directory on the nfs mount.
/home/ja/.evolution/addressbook/local/system/addressbook.db
/home/ja/.evolution/addressbook/local/system/addressbook.db.summary

tom system 1006# file *
addressbook.db:Berkeley DB (Hash, version 8, native byte-order)
addressbook.db.summary: data

I can seem to create a new address book under
"On This Computer"
but then neither open it nor delete it from the laptop.

I have, as user ja
chmod -R 777 at the addressbook level

I realise that it says "On This Computer"
and an LDAP server could be used but that seems hard work
for something seemingly straight forward.

On the laptop I have Centos42
tom system 1013# rpm -qa|grep -i evolution
evolution-connector-2.0.2-8.i386
evolution-data-server-devel-1.0.2-9.i386
evolution-data-server-1.0.2-9.i386
evolution-webcal-1.0.10-3.i386
evolution-devel-2.0.2-22.i386
evolution-2.0.2-22.i386

On the "server" FC3
maui.jaa.org.uk ~ 1000# rpm -qa|grep -i evolution
evolution-data-server-1.0.2-3.i386
evolution-connector-2.0.2-1.i386
evolution-data-server-devel-1.0.2-3.i386
evolution-2.0.2-3.i386
evolution-devel-2.0.2-3.i386
evolution-webcal-1.0.10-1.i386

There is an evolution update available for FC3 but it jumps
over the Centos42 version.

I have googled around but not found anything obvious.

Is there an easy way to look in the dbase to see if
the problem is internal?

Any advice/experiences welcome !!

John