Please suggest a fedora core 4 compatible wireless card

Douglas Phillipson dougp at intermind.net
Fri Nov 25 20:59:49 UTC 2005

Matt Morgan wrote:
> On 11/25/05, Douglas Phillipson <dougp at intermind.net> wrote:
>
>>What wireless cards work with FC4 out of the box?  I'd rather not have
>>to install any drivers.  Please use common names, not chipsets in
>>
>>Thank you, I really appreciate your help
>

> I've had good success with
>
> Cisco Aironet 340 and 350
> SMC2632W V.2
> Intel Centrino, AKA Pro/Wireless 2100 and 2200
>
> But there are lots of others, so wait on everyone else's responses ...
>
> You should also check the list archive, since this issue comes up a
> lot. The easiest one to use is at
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2

After doing some research I discovered all I had to do was install the
firmware with yum.  (yum -y install ipw2200-firmware)

Why doesn't Fedora install this with the distribution?  If the driver is
in the kernel, why isn't the firmware on the CD?  Might I suggest that
this bit of knowledge be put on the Unofficial Fedora FAQ?  I actually
tried to contact that FAQ, but the link for contributing doesn't seem to
work. The "Email me" link on the FAQ doesn't point to an email address,
just a page with no useful contact info.

Thanks for the help.

Regards

Doug P