Please suggest a fedora core 4 compatible wireless card

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Nov 26 00:00:19 UTC 2005

Matt Morgan wrote:
> On 11/25/05, Douglas Phillipson <dougp at intermind.net> wrote:
>
>>What wireless cards work with FC4 out of the box?  I'd rather not have
>>to install any drivers.  Please use common names, not chipsets in

Common names are not that helpful because vendors often swich chipset
(and so driver) without changing the model name. Probably, the revision
changes so revision C might work, D not.

I got caught on that particular problem with an SMC card: the original
used a prism54 chipset that works (with add-on firmware), the next
revision didn't.

>>Thank you, I really appreciate your help
>

> I've had good success with
>
> Cisco Aironet 340 and 350
> SMC2632W V.2
> Intel Centrino, AKA Pro/Wireless 2100 and 2200
>
> But there are lots of others, so wait on everyone else's responses ...
>
> You should also check the list archive, since this issue comes up a
> lot. The easiest one to use is at
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2

In Fedora, I believe the Centrino devices require firmware that's not
part of the distro.

My laptop has an Atheros-based wireless card that does "just work" in
Ubuntu and SuSE, but it looks like being a major hassle in FC5.

I have Wavelan and Orinoco 11b cards that do just work in fc3, but in
fc5beta1test I can't use WEP.

--

Cheers
John