Gnome shows blank screen upon logging out

Ong Chin Kiat titantoppler at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 26 12:47:05 UTC 2005

Hello all. I recently installed FC4 (i386) on my Dell Dimension 2350
dedsktop. It runs Gnome as the window manager. During the first-run
configuration, I selected my screen resolution and finished the post-install
configuration. However, the screen just turned blank. It would not respond,
although I could SSH into the desktop.

Subsequently, I changed the /etc/inittab file to boot into runlevel 3, as a
precaution. Logging in locally worked fine. So I ran 'startx'. Everything
was fine and dandy, until I logged out, upon which the screen turned blank
and turned non-responsive. However, as previously mentioned, I could still
SSH into the server.

Please help me to resolve this problem.

Thanks!
Chink