gcc compiler problem

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sat Nov 26 15:31:08 UTC 2005

On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 04:06:27PM +0100, gprimiero at libero.it wrote:
> > > hi everyone.
> > > on fedora core 4.
> > > every time I try to install a source packet, I get on ./configure:
> > > checking wheter gcc is blacklisted....yes
> > > (version is gcc3)
> > What program is this?
> do not understand your quetsion:
> i'm trying to install a newer version of superkaramba.

That's the question, yes. Looks like superkaramba (a KDE program?) has a
list of GCC versions it thinks have problems. This is a poor test, because
the Fedora GCC often has fixes for exactly those bugs. Instead of
blacklisting whole gcc versions, they should make a configure test that
checks for the actual problem.

> gcc is the C++ compiler for KDE.
> I know I should upgrade to gcc4, but I did not understand if the bug
> persists. In any case I got problem to upgrade all the dependencies...
> anyway, suggestions?

The default compiler on FC 4 *is* gcc4. Are you sure you have gcc3?

You can install the compat-gcc-32 or compat-gcc-296 to get older versions of
the compiler if you really need them. But my guess is that the problem is
actually only imaginary, and that if you edit the configure script to ignore
that check, it'll all work fine.