gcc questions

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 16:33:38 UTC 2005

On 11/26/05, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 01:40:06PM +0200, Markku Kolkka wrote:
> > > We're learning C in the university and we MUST compile on
> > > Turbo C. So I need to know how different that piece of windows
> > > software is from gcc. If I compile in gcc, can I safely bet
> > > that the code will compile in Turbo C?
> > No. Turbo C is an ancient (latest version is from 1989) compiler
> > for 16-bit MS-DOS. It's possible that with careful coding and
> > trial and error you might be able to create simple programs that
> > compile correctly under both Turbo C and GCC.
>
> Turns out Borland made Turbo C (a great compiler and IDE for its day)
> available for free download from
> <http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,20841,00.html>. And, I was
> curious, since there's a lot of nostalgia value for me, and I found that it
> works wonderfully in DOSBox, the i386/DOS emulator -- which is available
> from Fedora Extras. (So you could even use it on PPC.)
>
> Hmm. They also have Turbo C++ 1.01 available for free -- that dates to 1991.
> <http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,21751,00.html>. This is
> probably the one you want, since it also includes a plain C compiler, which
> clearly states: "ANSI C!  A 100% implementation of the ANSI C standard".
> This means that programs you write *will* compile in both, provided you
> don't use anything newer than the original ANSI C (or any nonstandard
> extensions from either compiler). (Use the gcc -ansi option.)
>
> DOSBox is also great if you ever need to delve into learning i386 assembly,
> because you can't crash your actual machine.

Thank you vey much. I just want to be sure that I understand you
correctly: anything that compiles in gcc using the -ansi option WILL
compile in Turbo C?

I just looked at the Borland website. The school provides us with
Turbo C 3.0, which is probably a little different. Could you please
tell me how to get _anything_ working in DOSBox? I am yum-ing it now.
Thank you.

Dotan Cohen
http://technology-sleuth.com/technical_answer/what_are_the_advantages_of_lcd_monitors.html