Resolved XP accessing ntfs partion in samba server

Barry Yu barryyupuilee at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 27 15:58:32 UTC 2005

Tim wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 22:28 -0800, Barry Yu wrote:
>

>>A week ago I encountered a problem in accessing ntfs partition in samba
>>server from remote XP, after quite some searching with google, finally
>>resolved access denial by adding a line in /etc/fstab;
>>    /dev/hdb5      /mnt/ntfs   ntfs   defaults,ro,umask=000  0 0
>>
>>Before I added the line in fstab, the scenario is I can access samba
>>server ntfs partition locally without problem, but when a remote XP
>>tried to access ntfs partition in samba server got denied. ls -l  /mnt
>>I foune that ;
>>
>>       drwxr-xr-x   fat32
>>       dr-x------    ntfs  ( After added a line in fstab as above, it
>>reads  dr-xr-xr-x)
>>
>>It is obvious that group and other users just don't have any file
>>permission at all.
>>

>Do you really want it that way?  In my case, I have a FAT32 drive, and I
>set dmask=0077 & fmask=0177, with gid=tim & uid=tim  so I got:
>
>drwx------ tim tim    for directories, and
>-rw------- tim tim    for files
>
>I didn't want other users being able to access files, nor any accidental
>execution of files (it also makes a mess when you copy a text file from
>Windows to Linux, it stupidly becomes an executable script file).  If
>you give away access to other users, they can do what they like, and I'd
>think that ownership of things would get screwed up.
>
>I'd imagine you'd want something similar for NTFS, but not one
>particular user and group ID owning all files.  I'd imagine you'd want
>the same owners of files on the two different systems (e.g. user John on
>Linux is user John on Windows, maintaining their ownership between
>them).

Perhaps I didn't make my point clear enough, the situation is even when
I log in as root into samba server, I can access the ntfs partition, but
when I try to access the same ntfs partition from remote XP machine even
under the root account (I create this root account for test), I got
access denial unless I add a line " /dev/hdb5 /mnt/ntfs ntfs
defaults,ro,umask=000 0 0" in /etc/fstab, my question is : 1) How can an
administrator (such as root) access this ntfs partition in samba server
from remote XP machine when there is a need? 2) Is adding umask 000 in
/etc/fstab the only way to open ntfs access for remote XP machine, I
can't find the way in shell environment to do that yet.