Permission Denied When Running JBoss As Service In FC4

Eduardo Dela Rosa eduardo.delarosa at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 23:17:57 UTC 2005

Hi,

I wonder if anyone had also came across with this kind of problem when
running JBoss 4.0.3 (SP1) as service in FC4?

JBoss comes with its ready-made shell script (jboss_init_redhat.sh) to
run it as linux service by copying it to the /etc/init.d folder.

I have configured it to start under runlevel 3 (chkconfig'ed).  I've
also set everything (variables) to point to JBoss and Sun J2SDK1.5
installation folders.

But during FC4 boot-up process, it prints to the console a message
saying "su: Permission Denied". In the script, at one stage, the execution
changes the user from root to jboss (su - jboss) before running the
$JBOSS_HOME/bin/run.sh script.

Preconditions:
1. `jboss` user has been pre-created and owns (recursively) the $JBOSS_HOME;
2. jboss_init_redhat.sh was copied to /etc/init.d/jbossd, set with 755 file perm;
3. jbossd was chkconfig'ed to runlevel 3.
4. JBoss wiki page which provides solution doesn't seem to work in FC4.

Does this problem relates to some kind of permission settings or so?

Any ideas to troubleshoot this problem is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

---

EDUARDO A. DELA ROSA