Another Dual boot question

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Mon Nov 28 17:41:00 UTC 2005

Greetings Arne ,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arne Drechsler" <listrx at onlinehome.de>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 11:12 AM
Subject: Another Dual boot question

> Hi everybody,
>
> I have windows on first partition, FC4 on 2.,3.,4. partition. All on a
> 250GB disk. Grub is boot loader.
> Can i reinstall windows without overwriting Grub ?

No . The Windows XP Installation proccess will overwrite the Grub Bootstrap
loader
and only that .

Or do i have to  reinstall Grub after Windows installation ?
Yes you do have to reinstall grub after the Windows Installation , but that
shouldn't be
a problem .
 IS there some docu about  this already ?

Probably . If you search the archives of this very list you might find the
proccess described
again . It goes something like this :

1. After the Windows installation finishes gracefully . Boot with the First
CD of your
   Linux Installation be it Fedora Core [1 ..4 ] or whatever .
2. Type linux rescue . The rescue proccess will try to locate your Linux
Installation and
    if everything goes well then it will find your linux installation .
3. After your Linux installation is found you will be dropped to a shell
and your linux installation
   will be mounted under /mnt/sysimage (  I think you are asked if you wish
to do so and there
   you must answer yes .
4. At the shell prompt you should enter
   #chroot /mnt/sysimage
5. After that you will be chrooted to your linux installation . At which
point you should type
   #grub-install  /dev/hda1 . Then it should report that grub install
finished without errors
6. At the shell prompt again you should type
   #exit   ( Exits the chrooted enviroment )
   #exit   ( This will reboot your machine , be ware not to boot from the
cd again )

That should do it . If everything has gone well you should now have your
grub boot menu
with two options availabe . The first one should boot your linux
installation whereas the
second one usually labeled "DOS"  would be your XP installation . Those
labels can be
changed to whatever your like . /boot/grub/grub.conf is where the boot menu
relies ,
you can change the title line to whatever you see fit but leave the rest as
it is .

Kind Regards,
  Kostas