FC4 Crached / Hached or what it is, --- please help

Anil Kumar Sharma xplusaks at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 18:42:28 UTC 2005

Thanks Jeff, and a ton of that ... may be lots more ...
I have recovered from the crash or whatever it was ...
I could only partly follow ur guidance bcoz "rpm -Va" was too much to
handle. Problem was manpages not opening in rescue mode, so I gave up that
route.
What worked was "reinstall libpcre, libacl and db4" although reinstall also
didn't go smoothly, I had to chroot-exit, ctrl-c,  ctrl+alt+del and reset
(hardware) quite a few times and finally after 3-4 reboots I am writing this
in Mozilla-Firefox.
There are new questions now, but I will post them on list - this is purely
for thanking you to have helped  solve this problem.
Thanks Jeff.

On 11/27/05, Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 14:25 +0530, Anil Kumar Sharma wrote:
> > Thanks Jeff and all list,
> >
> > I could manage run e2fsck on three out of four logical volumes, Fourth
> > one is swap!. (after umount)
> > Results are
> > 1of4 root -> clean
> > 2f 4 home -> clean,
> > 3of4 is a backup file storage - has no system files at all (is not
> > placed in fstab but used manually.)
> > 3/3 shows  -> mounted 156 times without being checked, heck forced.
> > Pass 1 - - - Pass 5 -> (no message) ----48/434592 files 31.3%
> > non-contiguous.
> > 4of4 swap could not umount it to run e2fsck on it  (- says it is busy)
> > After doing this, I rebooted into rescue mode again to check the
> > files and find no change in status.
> >
> > /lib/libacl.so.1.1.0 is a corrupted file pointed from a healthy
> > link /lib/libacl.so.1 ( ls -l lists it OK)
> > /lib/libpcre.so.0 is a corrupted link pointing to a healthy file
> > libpcre.so.0.0.1
> > /lib/libdb.4.3.so is a corrupted file. NO link in /lib pointing to
> > it but there are healthy files /lib/libdb-4.1.so and /libdb-4-2.so
> >
> > Please suggest repair method - can these two faulty files be
> > deleted !  and put healthy (new) files in /lib and recreate faulty
> > link.
> > Or any other way
> > Please guide....many thanks in advance.
> >
> First verify that everything is intact or get a list of the errors.
> "rpm -Va" should give a list of things that are not exactly as
> originally installed.  The code in the first 8 columns tells what is
> different. Man rpm to get the details on the Verify option.
> Look at the output carefully. Many files get changed for configuration
> and just because they are listed in the output of "rpm -Va" does not
> mean they are necessarily bad.
>
> Reinstall pcre, libacl, db4, db4-devel and any others that show as
> corrupted. The install process should redo the necessary links and/or
> replace any corrupted files.
>
> The command "yum install pcre libacl db4\*" should do the trick.
>

> --

Anil Kumar Shrama