Another Dual boot question

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Nov 28 13:28:27 UTC 2005

Arne Drechsler wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have windows on first partition, FC4 on 2.,3.,4. partition. All on a
> 250GB disk. Grub is boot loader.
> Can i reinstall windows without overwriting Grub ? Or do i have to
> reinstall Grub after Windows installation ? IS there some docu about
> this already ?

Have your rescue CD (or first install CD) in hand and know how to
install grub from the commandline.

Once you've mastered that, then redo Windows. Windows will replace grub
and that will prevent you from booting Linux.

If you can boot from floppy, grub on a floppy is a fine thing to have.
Nearly as good as a rescue cd.

Althernatively, a grub on a floppy image on a CD.

The idea is to have a safe copy of grub to hand where you can type in
the commands you need to boot the computer when things are slightly borked.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait