Webcam support

Jarkko Elfving jarelf at kotiportti.fi
Mon Nov 28 20:35:44 UTC 2005

Hello

I'm curious about web-cam support on Fedora Core 4 or Cent OS 4.2.

I've Labtec Webcam Pro device and any web-cam software do not support
this product. When I bought this device I did not check good enough
Linux support on this device.

I spend lot's of days to find drivers which support's this device. I
found only on driver, but that wasn't made for Fedora Core 4 kernel's.

I found also few documents were this device was working. But because I
still feel like I'm a Novice (example I do not know how to create new
RPM from sources which is packed by tar.gz or something like that and
I'm not so good programmer to do a driver by my own).

Have you got this web-cam to work in Linux or had I bought not so
supported device?

One thing is funny - volume controller founds it's integrated mic, and
when I check what USB devices is plugged into my system with lsusb
command, I got this output:

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:08a2 Logitech, Inc.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

I know, that Labtech is subsidiary of Logitech and how I read this
output, I assume that the first line of output is an integrated mic.

This is not so high priority in my tasks - but I would be nice to got
work all my devices. I've also a HP's scanner (bought before I start
using Linux) which is supported in SANE but only in BW mode.

Regards,
Jarkko Elfving