Command ($ or #) line; smart completion?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Nov 28 20:37:48 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 03:28:27PM -0500, Nat Gross wrote:
> Back in the days of MS-DOA (um, msdos), I had a little tsr (forgot
> about *that* tla) called 4DOS that enhanced the command line
> experience. The more I work at the linux command line, the more I miss
> some basic functions. Ok, we have scroll back history, but how about:

You're in luck. The Linux command line is way more powerful than that thing
ever was.

> 1. Typing a partial command that exists in history, hit <F8>, and the
> command either gets completed (if unique string), or a little menu is
> presented.

Hit <tab>. :)

> 2. Any command that involves a file or directory (in the current dir)
> can have the file/dir name auto-entered also via
> 'partial-string+function key'.

Again. :)

> I reason that linux, either gnome or kde terminal, surely must have a
> way of doing this.
> Have I overlooked aomething basic?

Yup. :)

Check out <http://www.caliban.org/bash/> for a bunch of great tips.

The bash-completion package from that site is available from Fedora Extras.
Install it with "yum install bash-completion".