Cron & Tripwire

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Nov 28 21:58:55 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 14:13, CodeHeads wrote:
> > I have FC3 and use an RPM with tripwire-2.3.1-21; it has a
> > /etc/cron.daily/tripwire-check script that runs just fine.
> >
> > How different is your crontab entry from the command that you run
> > successfully by hand?
> >
> > --Marcin
> >

> I think I found the problem.
>
> I have in the script that cron fires off:
> tripwire --check > /path/trip.txt
>
> I believe it is supposed to be:
> /sbin/tripwire -- check > /path/trip.txt
>
> Am I right? :)
>
> ~WILL~

Why are you not using the cron script that comes with the package?  It
should have been installed in /etc/cron.daily as tripwire-check.

The contents of the file should be something similar to:

#!/bin/sh
HOST_NAME=`uname -n`
if [ ! -e /var/lib/tripwire/${HOST_NAME}.twd ] ; then
        echo "****    Error: Tripwire database for ${HOST_NAME} not
found.    ****"
        echo "**** Run "/etc/tripwire/twinstall.sh" and/or "tripwire
else
        test -f /etc/tripwire/tw.cfg &&  /usr/sbin/tripwire --check
fi