vulnerability of Linux

Steffen Kluge kluge at fujitsu.com.au
Mon Nov 28 23:59:24 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 07:47 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
> That is plain stupidity. It is worse than securing your system sensibly
> and applying _no_ updates.

Applying security fixes as they are released is part of securing a
system sensibly.

> If you blindly apply updates as they appear, you will get a broken
> system, nothing surer.

Doing anything blindly is not a good approach. However, I have yet to
break a system by following this rule:

      * On servers, which have a minimal set of packages installed (my
        servers are usually single-trick ponies), I run automatic
        updates.
      * On workstations (with loads of multimedia, end-user, and whatnot
        applications) I run yum daily to check for updates and then
        apply them manually after assessing the risk that mplayer might
        stop working, or something.

That said, I wish the yum metadata would contain information pointing
out security related updates. One could then go and just apply security
fixes and their dependencies.

> If you run yum daily to keep the system up2date and something breaks,
> you will have no idea whether something changed, what changed or when.

Not true, /var/log/yum.log.

Cheers
Steffen.