Root filesystem on LVM on top of Software-Raid1?

Peter Dominey pdominey at dominey.biz
Tue Nov 29 13:41:57 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 09:07 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 14:09 -0800, Mark wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have the system root ("/") on a LVM volume that is running on a software raid1 partition (/dev/md0)
> > I added 2 harddisks and created another raid1 partition on them (/dev/md1).
> > Now I want to expand the LVM volume over /dev/md1. I did that and my volume shows 18GB, while my filesystem still shows the old size
> > without the second raid array. I guess I need to use fsck or resize2fs, but the problem is that those tools do not work as long as
> > the device is mounted.
> > I can't unmount the filesystem either, because it is the root filesystem

The filesystem resides under the Logical Volume, which is under the
Volume Group which contains the physical volumes. When the VG is
expanded with additional DASD (RAID or otherwise) it doesn't allocate it
to the LV's, until you extend the LV(s). In turn the filesystem(s) do
not have any more space until you resize them (after extending the LV).

So the process is: Extend the VG, Extend the LV, resize the FS. Some
FS's can be resized dynamically.

Thanks

Peter

--
| P J Dominey                                                                            |

Scanned for Viruses! mail.dominey.biz