HP Postscript printers

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Nov 29 14:38:26 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 01:12:20PM +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> > You misunderstand the process. The Fedora application with the aid of
> > ghostscript creates a postscript file (or maybe your application can
> > create pastscript by itself) . The posscript is sent to the printer
> > driver which converts it to whatever language the printer understands.
>
> Unless, of course, the printer understands Postscript itself, in which
> case there's no need to convert anything.
>
> Note that the Original Poster never stated that this printer was *only*
> for use with Fedora. The "gold standard" analogy may be dated, but it's
> pretty accurate: practically any print job can be converted to
> Postscript on nearly every OS (that can print formatted text). So if he
> wants to play with AIX, or Irix, or OS/2, or Minix, he shouldn't have to
> worry about printer drivers.
>
> James.
That is true but he is asking his question on a Fedora list. No matter
the question is outdated. It makes no difference if the hardware or
the driver understands postscript. What if on the other operating
systems he wants to print a text file and his printer only understands
postscript. He would be out of luck. I contend the only question that
needs answering is does he have drivers for the printers.

Or if I wanted to be mean I would point out that is the printer
understands postscript it is a really a program(driver) in its
firmware that understands poscript.

Man's horizons are bounded by his vision.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484