Network Perfomance

Peter Dominey pdominey at dominey.biz
Tue Nov 29 15:09:52 UTC 2005

It has to be some configuration issue, I'm thinking. I am getting really
lousy network performance, particularly evidenced when using Firefox to
the Internet. I have followed the information I could find in FAQ'd etc
and changed my /etc/sysctl.conf file:

# Kernel sysctl configuration file for Red Hat Linux
#
# For binary values, 0 is disabled, 1 is enabled.  See sysctl(8) and
# sysctl.conf(5) for more details.

# Controls IP packet forwarding
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0

# Controls source route verification
# change to off
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 0

# Do not accept source routing
net.ipv4.conf.default.accept_source_route = 0

# Controls the System Request debugging functionality of the kernel
kernel.sysrq = 0

# Controls whether core dumps will append the PID to the core filename.
# Useful for debugging multi-threaded applications.
kernel.core_uses_pid = 1

# Controls the use of TCP syncookies
# change to off
net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies = 0

#-------- Start /etc/sysctl.conf additions ------
# Disable TCP ECN which some routers and servers cannot handle.
net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 0

# Disable TCP window scaling which some routers and firewalls cannot
handle.
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 0

But still little improvement. This is on a 2.8 GHz machine with lots of
memory and a 15Mbs FIOS connection to the Internet. Other machines
(windows of all things) are very snappy, in communicating with the
Internet.

Any help would be most appreciated

Thanks
Peter

--
| P J Dominey                                                                            |

Scanned for Viruses! mail.dominey.biz