Command ($ or #) line; smart completion?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 16:09:19 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 09:02, Matthew Miller wrote:

> > > It never was broken.
> > It is broken compared to current vi.
>
> Compared to vim, you mean, yeah?

It has been a long time, but I'm fairly sure that the last AT&T SysVr4
version of vi I used handled up/down arrows gracefully too.  And I
think it did it simply by mapping them to the codes to shift out of
insert mode, move and shift back in - but I don't recall how it knew
which mode to set after the motion.

> Since bash is GNU, I think they're probably in the emacs camp and don't care
> too much about the vi mode.

I know - vi and man pages weren't invented there.

> They probably accept patches, though. :)

A key mapping should work without code changes if there is a way to
restore the previous mode.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com