kernel-update freq

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Nov 29 18:45:34 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 06:27:08PM +0000, T. Horsnell wrote:
 > What's the policy on keeping up-to-date kernels on
 > the repos? It looks to me like the latest kernel
 > on FC3 and 4 is 2.6.12-1.1381 (dated around 22 June),
 > and yet kernel.org is at 2.6.14.3 (dated 25 Nov).
 >
 > I've hit a pile of ieee1394 issues which, according
 > to the Changelogs on kernel.org may well have been
 > fixed in the more recent kernels.
 >
 > Should I build my own, or is a FC3/4 kernel-update imminent?

FC3 is going to stay at 2.6.12 until end of life.
The problem with rebasing to newer releases is that they
always require various bits of userspace to also get updated.
Given that everyone is overloaded with FC4/FC5 right now,
chances are we wouldn't get all the bits updated in time
before it hits end of life.

I may have decided this a little prematurely, but 2.6.13
wasn't a particularly good kernel judging from the FC4
bug reports, so it probably paid off.

A 2.6.14.3 update for FC4 went out yesterday.

		Dave