pxeboot and nfsroot

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Nov 30 03:06:08 UTC 2005

Cornelius Koelbel wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am trying to setup up my clientless machine for two days.
A clientless machine?

> THere is aboslutely no good howto for this.
> I did it about two years ago, but now it is gone. (I missed to write a
> howto ;-)
>
> I do not want to install using pxeboot, and I do not want to use this
> stateless project. I don't habe an ldap server...
>
> I got everything set up:
> - dhcpd
> - tftp
> - got my own kernel
> - got my initrd
>
> THe machine having no disk is booting fine, loading the kernel from
> tftp, and doing the init from the ram disk.
>
> But when it comes to switchroot or pivot_root i run into problems.
> The initrd, as it comes with FC4 uses nash, where the mount command does
> not support nfs.
>
> So I put several other things in my ramdisk.
>
> The problems I get are either
> A) kernel panic
> B) or a login prompt without the init from the nfsroot beeing
> executed. 	(Since the screen disappears immediatly I can not see, if the
> switchroot was done successfully...)

Are you trying to install to NFS from a diskless client?

I don't think Anaconda supports that.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux has support for creating filesystems for
diskless clients. If your budget doesn't run to an EL licence, then you
could try one of the several clones which include
Centos (commonly recommended)
WBEL (what I use)
Tao
Google can find them for you.