immutable bit

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Wed Nov 30 03:39:41 UTC 2005

--On Wednesday, November 30, 2005 10:47 AM +0800 John Summerfied
<debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:

> Aa couple of times I've felt the urge to do that. Something was breaking
> /etc/resolve.conf and I couldn't discover what. chattr fixed that one.

I used the same solution, but I knew what it was: the DHCP client. It
overwrites /etc/resolv.conf with the information from the DHCP server. And
since it runs as root, it can overwrite a "read-only" file. The immutable
bit stopped that.

Later I discovered that the DHCP client script will accept a setting in the
interface config to ignore DNS information from the server.