ID Numbering in Group and Passwd

Dave Brown daveb21 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 03:58:05 UTC 2005

I have had a look at the RFE you filed and to be honest i disagree with the
way you have asked for it to be fixed. By selecting the GIDs in decending
order from 60,000 down and the uid ascending from 500 there still exists the
possibility for these 2 numbers to collide if you have more than 59500 users
/ groups. Granted this is a large number but for big institutions /
companies this isnt unreasonable. I personally have worked with two
installations that this numbering scheme would have caused problems.

I believe that the underlying code should be changed so that when adding a
user the lowest available number which is not currently used by either a
group or user should be the one selected. That way you can have as many
users as you want (up to 2^32 of course :o) without running into any
clashes.

I will add a note to your RFE explaining my thoughts and see what RedHat
reckon. Thanks for your input.

Cheers
Dave