upgraded from fc3 -> fc4 now, there is no internet?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Nov 30 13:29:32 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 00:12 +0000, Kahn Seidl wrote:

> >From: James Wilkinson <fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk>
> >To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> >Subject: Re: upgraded from fc3 -> fc4 now, there is no internet?
> >Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 07:51:40 +0000
> >
> >Either Martin or Kahn Seidl wrote:
> > > eth0 comes up fine, picks up the ip address and is configured properly.
> > >
> > > But, I get no access to the internet?
> > >
> > > What should i check ?
> >
> >/sbin/route
> >Check you have a default route
>
> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
> I am able to ping the router.  It picks up an ip address fine
>
> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
> >Check that you can ping the gateway on the default route.
> >(If not, try re-setting up eth0 with system-config-network).
> >
> >ping 64.233.187.99
> >ping 72.14.207.99
> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
> On this, it gives me "connect: Network is unreachable"
> When I traceroute the router it says "socket: Permission denied"
> When I traceroute google or anybody else, I get the network is unreachable
> my other laptop is easily on the same network, and i have had this laptop
> working
> on this network.  Just since I did an upgrade on fc3 -> fc4.
>
> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
> >ping 212.58.224.83

1.  Is the firewall active and blocking you?  FC4 tries to enable it by
default.  You can try disabling it to test.

2.  Did you get a default gateway set and is your nameserver configured?
The nameserver won't affect pings to an IP address but it affects use of
names.  The gateway not properly set will screw it all up.
"netstat -r", and the contents of /etc/resolv.conf will tell for both of
those.