Newbie

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Nov 30 17:09:24 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 17:50 +0100, Guido Leisker wrote:

> I have tried squirrelmail too. But i found no way to tell the programm
> to auth at the smtp-server of my provider!

Yeah - I don't use squirrelmail to send mail.
It probably could be patched fairly easily to use my service providers
smtp - but I generally just use my providers webmail to send when I'm
not using a proper client.

> You use you own Server? Thats a bit tricky i think, you need own dns
> entries and so on. Thats all a bit to much for newbies (like newbie and me)

Don't need your own dns server - mine sits on a local lan, not a real
IP.

Now - I do happen to run a caching nameserver (on the same box) that
resolves hostnames on my local lan, but you can also just put entries
into the /etc/hosts files instead. That's what I use to do.