Get process that bind a port

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) stymar at lucent.com
Wed Nov 30 17:54:20 UTC 2005

> Hello,
> I am playing around with writing a program to bind to socket
> / port in my
> machine. Often time, I got the message:
> bind(): Address already in use
>
> So my question is, how do I find out which process bind to a
> certain port
> number ? For example, how do I find out what process use port
> 2345? Sometimes
> 'ps ax' does not really show the process that I though bind
> that port number,
> although bind() gave the error message. Plus 'ps ax' does not
> really help
> unless you know the process name anyway.
>
> Thanks for any help.
> RDB

The command lsof run as root will tell you a lot of things including
who is bound to a port.
For example:
lsof | grep 2345

Note that on various flavors unix, I have seen the "already in use" message
for a short time after a program exits.  That is, start a program which listens
on a certain port, exit the program, immediately restart the program.  A quick test
says FC4 does not seem to do this.

--
Bob Styma