Stateless IM Continued

Andy Pieters mailings at vlaamse-kern.com
Wed Nov 30 21:43:00 UTC 2005

Hi list

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I have researched your answers and I thank you for your suggestions.

The main thing would be that if there is a glitch in the connection between
the two computers that the "sender" just tries to send again after an
interval of a few seconds.

Yesterday I was talking to my dad via icq (he's using windows icq client) and
I use Kopete.

There was a thunderstorm going on and there were quite a few connection breaks
of a few seconds each.

The connection with the icq server got severed each time I saw lightning but
the most anoying part was that I didn't get any warning of connection
failure.

Basically I had to connect, type a sentence, see if an answer gets trough, and
if not, disconnect, and connect again to see the answer.

If it were peer to peer with each side retrying to send we could have
continued our chat without even noticing the glitches.

We are about 1.500 km (~1000 miles) apart from each other.

With kind regards

Andy

--
Currently not listening to amaroK