panic after rsync

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Oct 17 03:51:09 UTC 2005

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, Mike Pepe wrote:

> dsavage at peaknet.net wrote:
>> The 48G hard drive in my Thinkpad is throwing smartd errors, so I'm trying
>> to migrate my existing FC4 installation to one of those new 120G Seagate
>> Momentus drives. The difference between their sizes is giving me fits. I
>> tried prepping the new drive with LVM2 before running rsync, but I
>> couldn't mount its partitions with a temp USB2 connect because FC4
>> apparently can't handle two drives using identical lvm names.

Not surprising, if you think about it.  So give the new volgroup a
different name for now.  Then you can change it back after you remove the
old drive.

I just went through this, and it worked fine for me.  The LVM HOWTO is
extremely helpful in this regard.

>> Since all I need are the /boot, / and swap partitions I gave up on lvm and
>> tried the old fashioned way: /dev/hda1-3. The trouble is, when I rsync
>> everything over from the old to the new drive, some lvm contamination
>> seems to migrate along with my files.

I doubt it's LVM "migrating". rsync knows nothing of LVMs.

>> While booted with the Rescue CD I've:
>>  (1) Re-labeled the / and /boot partitions
>>  (2) Edited /etc/fstab to match the new disk's LABLELs
>>  (3) Run mkinitrd with "--omit-lvm-modules"
>>  (4) Re-run grub-install
>>
>> Now the new disk boots thru grub, then panics after:
>>   Red Hat nash version 4.2.15 starting
>>   ERROR opening /dev/console!!!!: 2
>>   error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 0
>>   error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 1
>>   error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 2
>>   WARNING: can't access (null)
>>   exec of init ((nul)) failed!!!: 14
>>   Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>>
>> Can anyone offer any insights into what is causing this and what needs
>> fixing? Thanks.
>>
>> --Doc Savage
>>   Fairview Heights, IL

Mike Pepe could be right.  If you didn't leave out the pseudo-file systems
(dev, proc, selinux (I think), sys, when you copied, you might see odd
behavior.

Also, check to see that you preserved symlinks when you copied.
/etc/grub.conf, e.g., should be a symlink to /boot/grub/grub.conf.

> I'm not sure this is the root cause of your issue, but if I were doing what
> you are doing, I'd be using dump/restore or tar, not rsync.
>
> Maybe it's not copying your data correctly... dump and restore would probably
> be my first choice, as they read and restore on the filesystem level where
> the other solutions can cross mountpoints.
>
> just a thought...

There are other ways to avoid crossing filesystem boundaries.  The LVM
HOWTO suggests using find (which can be told not to cross filesystems) and
cpio.  That worked fine for me.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences