problems with new kernels from yum

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at mn.rr.com
Thu Oct 27 12:50:55 UTC 2005

Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 19:25 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
>
>>I'm not sure when it changed, but, I clearly remember that when ntp
>>would occasionally fail, there would be a message that would say that
>>it had, and then the machine would continue to boot.
>

> I'm on dialup, so my network is only ever on the net sometimes, but
> rarely ever rebooted.  So I left NTPD on all the time.  Unfortunately, I
> notice the following problems:
>
> Trying to boot means a very long delay as NTP waits for ages before
> giving up and letting the boot process continue without it.  (Yes, I
> think some sort of "start it and leave it in the background" technique
> would be a good idea.)
>
> In the past NTP would handle losing the PPP connection.  It'd start
> doing its business again when the PPP connection was reconnected,
> automatically.  Now, it needs manually restarting.  If I can't resolve
> this directly, and get desperate enough, I'll probably end up starting
> PPP with an intermediary script that starts PPP then restarts NTP.

One quick thought here, which may or may not be relevant.

I have ntpd on all the time and I reboot at least twice per day as I
move my laptop from home to office and back.

I have my eth0 set up to not activate on boot and I do this manually
after logging in to GNOME.

I also happen to have two profiles set up, one for home (with a fixed IP
and DNS) and one for the office (using DHCP).

Once I configured eth0 to not activate on boot, my boot time is fairly
short, even though I have ntpd and firestarter attempting to start on
boot. I get the [FAIL] messages for both, but these pass quickly. This
has been the case since circa FC2, when somebody posted this approach
someplace.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz