Re: Feedback invited for Inspiron 6000 w/ ATI MOBILITYT RADEON® X300 64MB HyperMemoryT

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Thu Sep 1 02:50:00 UTC 2005

Reshat Sabiq wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Robin Laing wrote:
>

>>After being burned by the ATI WWW site and their driver, I would look at
>>true user feedback before trusting it.  ATI support for their cards does
>>not mean all features are supported.  Like lack of 3D.  For me, I will
>>avoid ATI video cards for now.  This puts a limit on notebooks but that
>>is just life.
>>
>>Buyer beware.
>>--
>>Robin Laing
>>

>Yes, i'd appreciate user feedback. As i mentioned, the latest driver lists
>Mobility X300 as a supported graphics card. Also, the only 3D issues
>listed on the site are the following:
>1. if "force multi-sample visuals" option enabled in fglrxconfig
>2. POSIX Shared Memory is disabled
>
>It appears both of these issues can be easily avoided. But again, i'd
>appreciate any feedback from actual users of X300 on laptops.

I think there is a good chance that Mobility X300 support in the
proprietary driver includes 3D, and hardware acceletation:
*Q1:* 	* What features are provided by the ATI Proprietary Linux Driver? *
*A1:*

The ATI Proprietary Linux driver currently provides hardware
acceleration for 3D graphics and video playback. It also includes
support for dual displays and TV Output.

http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/linux.html#1