You need ACPI or APM for soft power-down.

Antonio Montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Thu Sep 1 05:38:14 UTC 2005

James Wilkinson said the following on 01/09/2005 02:41:
> I wrote:
>
>>As for the poweroff, you need APM or ACPI for this to work. APM doesn't
>>work in SMP mode (there's a line in the kernel messages you posted
>>saying as much), and you've just turned off ACPI for nearly everything.
>>
>>You will probably have turned off hibernation support and *possibly*
>>some power-saving support when you disabled ACPI.
>

> Antonio Montagnani wrote:
>
>>no idea how I could have disabled any flag to disable poweroff, any
>>suggestion?
>

> Um. Let me try again.
>
> Soft power-down isn't a standard part of a PC. Linux doesn't know how to
> do it without APM or ACPI.
>
> APM is out the question on SMP, due to the way it's designed.
>
> So you need ACPI properly working for soft power-down.
>
> You've added acpi=ht to the kernel boot flags.
>
> This is defined as "ht -- run only enough ACPI to enable Hyper
> Threading" (in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt). In
> other words -- not enough to do soft power-down.
>
> James.

Tnx James

I have moved the additional card to another PCI slot, but behaviour is
similar with same warnings/errors at start-up in var/log/messages and dmesg

I made also a trial stopping iptables and trying to connect with the SMP
kernel (and no acpi=ht option) but no connection established.

Now I have the following options:

1) use the standard kernel
2) use the SMP kernel with no internet connection (!!!!!)
3) use the SMP kernel with acpi=ht option at boot-time but no soft power-off

Of course option 2 is out of discussion

Shall I file a bug???
--
  Antonio
Mail by Thunderbird 1.0.6 - Websurfing by Firefox 1.0.6