FC3-kernel bug? Mount: can't find /media/floppy in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

Øyvind Stegard oyvinst at ifi.uio.no
Thu Sep 1 10:03:33 UTC 2005

Bengt Lindholm wrote:
> My mail went.. who knows where, so here is a new try:
>
> The last kernel, that was able to mount a floppy was kernel-
> smp-2.6.11-1.35_FC3. With kernel-smp-2.6.12-* I get the following
> warning: mount: can't find /media/floppy in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab. How
> to get my floppy-device to work without some editing every time after rebooting?
I think /etc/fstab is updated once the service haldaemon is started. It
calls /usr/sbin/fstab-sync to insert entries for /media devices and
such. If haldaemon fails to detect a floppy device, I guess no entry for
it will be found in /etc/fstab.

Here are some things to try (off the top of my mind):
* Restart haldaemon 'service haldaemon restart', then check /etc/fstab

* Use /usr/bin/lshal to list all known devices of the haldaemon, check
for floppy device. Check that '/dev/fd0' actually exists.

* Check for any warning/error messages during boot (udev, hal, ..)

* Insert an "un-managed" entry for your floppy device in /etc/fstab, if
all else fails (an entry without the 'managed' mount option). This entry
should be left alone, when it is updated by fstab-sync.
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto pamconsole,exec,noauto 0 0

Øyvind
--
< Øyvind Stegard < oyvinst at ifi uio no >
  < http://www.oyvind.nu/