Implementing networked /home

David Mackintosh David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Thu Sep 1 10:53:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 12:39:20PM -0400, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:

> Here are the options I'm considering:
> 1. On the server: export /home. On the clients: mount /home. I know how to do
> this. This should be the simplest.
> 2. On the server, export /home/user1, /home/user2, etc, thus for each user
> there is a "export line" for that user home directory. On the clients:
> mount /home/username whenever username login to that workstation.

Actually, the answer is to do both (or neither).

What we do is put the real home directories somewhere else (like
/export/disk1/home), and export that.  Then you populate the
automount maps for NIS (auto.master and auto.home) so that whenever a
process tries to use /home/$foo, it is mounted from
$server:/export/disk/$foo.  This means that the setup is consistant
across all systems, including the nfs server.

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh | Public Key: